Superb squash seconds seal early points for York

A 5-0 whitewash from the men’s squash seconds gave York two early Roses points this afternoon

Photo: Justyn Hardcastle

Photo: Justyn Hardcastle

A commanding 5-0 whitewash from the men’s squash seconds gave York two early Roses points this afternoon in the Sports Centre.

Dominant performances from Shaun Stubbins and Matthew Johnson, as well as a fantastic comeback from Gordon Jump, meant that the outcome was decided before York’s top two ranked players had even stepped on court.

York, who had not played together before today, provided fantastic entertainment for a large and enthusiastic crowd warming up for an afternoon of Roses squash. Captain Matthew Brennan thanked those who had come to support his team saying, “There were some tight games, but we won all of the big points. This was down to some great support.”

York started brightly, with Stubbins playing fast and aggressive squash to obliterate his opponent 11-5 in the opening set and then 11-6 in the second. However, on the adjacent court Jump has just lost two tight sets 11-8. As Stubbins finished his game with a tight 11-9 win in the third, Jump started the fight back. The bandanna-clad fighter won a pulsating third set 11-8 – to the crowd’s delight – and then swept his opponent aside in the next two, increasing the overall score to 2-0.

With Matthew Johnson 11-5, 11-3 up on the other court the points looked York-bound and, despite a passionate 11-3 win in the next set from his opponent, he sent them to the White Rose in the fourth. The crowd went wild at the win yet many, it seemed, did not even realise it was over so quickly.

Captain Brennan said that he was “proud” of his team’s performance as well as the crowd. He himself steamed past his opponent 11-8, 12-10, 11-6 to take the score to 4-0. It fell on top ranked player Tim Maitland to claim the whitewash.

He did this with an impressive victory where he came back from two sets down. The graft and passion of his performance when the fixture was already won summed up an impressive and entertaining fixture, which encapsulated the passion, support and competitiveness of Roses.

Produced by York Student Television, released under a CC BY-NC-ND 2.0 license

York line-up
Tim Maitland, Matthew Brennan (c), Matthew Johnson, Gordon Jump, Shaun Stubbins

Video by YSTV

1. Hell yeah Gordo!!! :D

‘Rule #76! No excuses, play like a champion!’ :D x