Cricket Seconds secure York’s first Roses points

Photo credit: Justyn Hardcastle

Photo credit: Justyn Hardcastle

UNIVERSITY OF LANCASTER SECONDS 141 all out
UNIVERSITY OF YORK SECONDS 142-6

A well-executed 46 from Stephen Walwyn guided York’s cricket seconds to Roses victory on Thursday afternoon. The hosts, set a target of 142 by Lancaster, recovered from a pedestrian start to their innings as Walwyn, ably assisted by opener Adam Wood and the positive middle order, knocked off the runs with ten overs and four wickets to spare.

Lancaster had been stunned by the fall of early wickets to the bowling of Giles Raymond, but grew in stature to post a competitive total. However, it would be York, playing their second match in two days, who collected the two points on offer, reducing the overall score to 8-2 entering the first, full day of action.

Played in glorious, if intermittent, sunshine, the lightning-fast outfield promised runs for any batsmen willing to exploit it. Without question, Lancaster, who had travelled bright and early across the Pennines for the encounter, would have wanted to make the most of this fact, having elected to bat first. However, Raymond had other ideas, clean bowling Ben Hazzard first ball – a seldom-seen diamond duck.

The Red Rose were only briefly startled; Captain Nick Thompson and Patrick Williamson dug in for a strong second wicket stand, but Raymond would strike again before the partnership capitalised fully on the conditions, removing Williamson for 15.

Ashish Deodhar offered brief resistance with a swift 21 as Lancaster proceeded purposefully towards the 100 mark in the middle part of the innings, but their advance was regularly checked by the outstanding bowling of James Oldham. Thompson, the visitor’s highest scorer with 27, Deodhar – whose frustrated swipe at the stumps after being dismissed earned him a stern warning from the umpire – and Ben Hodder [10] were all bowled by the York man. Ailing at 83-5, Lancaster’s hopes of posting a total beyond York’s reach were quickly fading.

The introduction of Wood, Kash Memon, Richard Hoggart and Tom Tempest to a versatile and varied attack skittled Lancaster’s tail, with only a late, accomplished 20 from Gareth Bowen seriously troubling the scorers. When York Captain Patrick Sarkies coaxed number eleven Alan Reynolds into a loose shot, Lancaster were all out for 141. Oldham was the pick of the bowlers, taking 3-19 including 4 maidens, closely followed by Raymond with figures 2-32.

For all the momentum taken from their bowling performance, York’s initial batting was frustratingly sluggish. At the ten over mark, the first checkpoint of their progress, they had only notched 15 runs, having lost the wickets of opener Sarkies [8] – trapped leg before by his counterpart Thompson – and Dan Taylor, beaten by the same bowler’s Yorker for zero.

Walwyn and Wood, however, were to be the constant of York’s innings. Slowly and assuredly, they reconstructed the chances of the White Rose, picking up the run rate through a certain bravado which shunned singles for boundaries. Walwyn capitalised particularly on the leg side, sweeping any balls pitched an inch wide for four, picking the gaps between fielders with tremendous intelligence and awareness.

York’s progress towards the target wasn’t always smooth, however: when Walwyn looped a shot high into the air after mistiming a Deodhar delivery, they looked precarious on 106-5. However, small, but crucial, interventions from Memon [14] and Ryan Diver [16] made the difference before Oldham and Adam Clark rounded things off with four wickets to spare.

Today’s win represented a terrific coup for York, who compete two divisions lower than their opponents, and an excellent start to the Roses weekend for the home camp.