Inside perspective: fashion PR

Have you ever wanted to pursue a career in fashion but never quite known how to go about it? The fashion world can seem intimidating and cliquey at first, so we spoke to three young people who have successfully infiltrated the fashion industry to get some inside tips

Jenny is a fashion PR for Blow, an innovative and creative company who represent almost half of the designers at LFW.

Jenny Lam

What does your job entail?
Daily tasks would include getting as much press as possible from publications that suit the brands you are aiming to push. Handling sample requests, liaising with stylists, filling monthly reports etc. During London Fashion Week I handle all photographers front of house and backstage including TV interviews.

What did you study?
I studied International Fashion Marketing at Manchester Met University, and it was a sandwich course so our 3rd year was a placement year. I stayed at Blow interning for a year and then became a showroom manager. I had the best time moving to London and ‘living the dream’ so to speak. My job was kept open and as soon as I graduated I came straight back and progressed to a PR assistant. Im now training to become an account manager!

Is much competition for jobs?
I think it’s quite rare to be given a chance these days especially in such a feisty industry.

What advice would you give to a budding Fashion PR?
Don’t be afraid of hard work. You have to be prepared to start from the bottom. We always have the odd intern who expects everyday to be glamorous and just like Sex and the City, but it really isn’t like that. Be confident and speak up, PR is all about communication and you should get yourself heard.

Did you enjoy Fashion Week?
Yes I did really enjoy it. I’ve never worked so hard but it was fun. I get a buzz off the craziness. This was my fourth season at LFW but my first being in charge of the backstage press. I was very nervous and a bit stressed because I  just didn’t want anything to go wrong! But it all went great and I was very happy with the turnout at all our shows.

What was your favourite show?
After 11 shows I only managed to watch 1 as I’m always backstage and don’t have time to run back and fourth but the one I watched was Ashish (which I was not going to miss!). I thought it was amazing which was what I expected, I thought the live music from VV Brown was such a nice touch. I’ve seen all the footage of the shows now and of course. Also our BLOW presents.. Show was so different, this was our chance to showcase our new young designers Gemma Slack, Komakino and Craig Lawrence.

What is a day in the fashion life of Jenny Lam?
It’s a pretty normal fashion life. I work every day in the office, unless we have a meeting somewhere. I’ve always wanted to have this life and I’m really proud that I work here and moved from a small northern town.

Blow offer and encourage work experience and internships. All CVs should be sent to email hidden; JavaScript is required