Women’s volleyball whitewash Sheffield Hallam

York women’s volleyball team ended the year on a high by thrashing Sheffield Hallam in straight sets, taking victory by a 25-7, 25-20 and 25-20 scoreline…

UNIVERSITY OF YORK FIRSTS 3 vs. SHEFFIELD HALLAM FIRSTS 0
BUCS (Women’s) League Northern Conference 2B, Wednesday 10th December 2008

York women’s volleyball team ended the year on a high by thrashing Sheffield Hallam in straight sets, taking victory by a 25-7, 25-20 and 25-20 scoreline. After a flying start, this match did get closer but Hallam just couldn’t win a set and were, in truth, well beaten.

York Captain Lisa Breitschuh commented to Nouse after the match: “I am obviously very glad we won, although we didn’t play quite as we could. We gave away some easy points early in the last two sets. In some rallies, though, we really showed what we can do when we play well. It was a great way to end the season.”

York started the first set brightly, notching up four points before Hallam could score in reply. They were the first team to get to double figures, as communication errors let Hallam down and they struggled to gain a footing in the game. York won easily, 25-7, and it looked like Hallam would really have to up their game to stand a chance in the match.

Women's Volleyball vs. Sheffield Hallam firsts,10.12 Alexandru Hristea (3)

(Alexandru Hristea)

In the second set, Hallam shuffled their formation, and initially it seemed to work, as they registered six points before York could answer back, one coming from what was, perhaps, the longest rally of the match. The set tightened up, but Hallam took the lead at 16-15, despite the best efforts from York Libero, Anastasia Harunova. However, by their first time-out York were up 21-18 and they extended this valuable lead to win 25-20, thereby taking the second set to moving the overall set score to the psychologically significant 2-0, with Hallam not looking like they could come back.

Women's Volleyball vs. Sheffield Hallam firsts,10.12 Alexandru Hristea (7)

(Alexandru Hristea)

York didn’t start the third set particularly well, with a poor serve gifting Hallam a point. The set was as close as the previous one, with York calling a timeout at 5-10 down, having made the set very difficult for themselves by giving away points too cheaply. York reached double figures in style, though, after the break with a well-worked point which culminated in a brilliant hit by Maiko Uesaki. Towards the end of the set, York really began to enjoy the longer rallies. The final set was close and both sides played some great volleyball. York capped an impressive day by winning with an ace served by Jeanette Chow, who played well throughout.