Seconds outclassed by Leeds in cup netball

York seconds were denied a place in round four of the BUCS Cup yesterday afternoon after a disappointing home loss against their Leeds University counterparts…

UNIVERSITY OF YORK SECONDS 15 vs. 48 UNIVERSITY OF LEEDS SECONDS BUCS
BUCS Cup (Netball) Third Round, Wednesday 10th December 2008

York seconds were denied a place in round four of the BUCS Cup yesterday afternoon after a disappointing home loss against their Leeds University counterparts. The team seemed exhausted far too quickly against a side who compete three leagues above them, and the subsequent 15-48 defeat will be a huge blow to team morale.

The hosts were soon under attack in the first quarter, with Leeds’ deadly accuracy passing denying York sufficient touches on the ball. York seemed panicked but after some timely advice from the sidelines to ‘take their time,’ they then began to get into their stride. Down 11- 5 entering the second quarter, York seemed determined not to allow Leeds full dominance in the match. Goal Shooter Sophia Sahin was on top form, accurately scoring another five goals for York. This, however, was not enough to demoralise Leeds who were quicker around the court and York found themselves 19-10 down by the half-way point.

Netball vs Leeds seconds, 10-12-08: Sam Newsome

(Sam Newsome)

After showing rapid signs of improvement as a team this season, the game was not a true reflection of progress made. Captain and Center Camilla Hampton made multiple chances with some fluent play, yet the side could not match her enthusiasm. Lacking the energy to attack, York were overwhelmed in the third quarter, only scoring two goals to Leeds’ 17. York seemed at an all-time low after Goal Shooter Sophia Sahin had to come off court after suffering an ankle injury after a fall.

Sahin said to Nouse afterwards, “we played well considering the side [Leeds] had trained a lot more than us, and are three leagues above.” Finally, in the fourth quarter, York displayed some vigour and began to find a rhythmic stride, and strong interceptions from Goal Keeper Jo Bradshaw denied Leeds even more goals. Yet this was not enough to match the confident unit of the Leeds team, who played a consistently fluent game compared to York’s small outbursts of good play.

York should be proud of how hard they fought today, but Leeds played with uncompromising skill, and the hosts were, in all honesty, outclassed. The team need to get back to basics to re-boost their confidence when playing tougher sides.