More success for York’s rowers at Newark race

The University Boat Club capped a successful term with another glut of medals on a tough course at the Newark Head of the River Race on Sunday…

The University Boat Club capped a successful term with another glut of medals on a tough course at the Newark Head of the River Race on Sunday. Both the senior men’s and women’s coxed fours achieved first place in their respective categories, backed up by a one-two finish in the women’s novice competition. Sophie Mottram possessed the golden touch, competing in both the senior and novice races, and winning on each occasion.

An early start, icy conditions and testing Nottinghamshire waters were gloriously overcome by York’s seven crews, who continued the winning momentum from an earlier meet at Trafford and the recent York small boats event.

The senior men’s first boat – featuring Jack Savage, Will Lawrence, Ben Coverdale and Dan Steele (coxed by Rosie Winter) – swept to victory on the 3.8km course, in a time of 13.09 minutes. The second boat looked as though they would challenge, but an infuriating collision with a Great Britain double three-quarters down the course meant the quartet of Dane Moore, David Cowie, Simon Reed and Matt Thrall (coxed by Ros Wood) had to settle for fourth. York’s double of Joe Bunting and Joe Wragg also produced a solid performance here.

In the senior women’s coxed fours, a time of 14.57 minutes was sufficient to win the category for York’s first boat of Alix Odgers, Sophie Mottram, Alex Mahan and Raeesa Chowdhury (coxed by Ashley Haycock).

The remaining boats were entered into the women’s novice category, with magnificent success. The second boat won outright, with the crew of Alex Hassall, Mottram, Heather Mallet and Charlotte McDonald (coxed by Sebastian Bottard) completed the race in a sub-16 minute time. They were followed home in 17.23 minutes by York’s third boat of Charlotte Lane, Rebecca Melville, Thea Hudson and Chloe Alexander (coxed by Ngaio Simpson). The fourth boat, a double of Hannah Mason and Beth Price Williams, achieved a good time of 16.27 minutes.

Another excellent outing for the Boat Club, who will be determined to continue such hot form into the New Year.

Thanks to Raeesa Chowdhury

1. Fantastic, its just sickening the University has cut our funding by 80% to one of the Universities oldest and most established sports clubs.