Controversial GSA By-Election Results Announced

GSA President, Rui Huang, and GSA Academic and Welfare Officer, Patrick Vitalone, lost their seats in a controversial by-election last week.

These by-elections were called after the GSA Elections on October 31, where many students were unable to get into Edge Bar to cast their vote. Other positions which had previously had no nominations were also included in the by-elections.

The results were as follows:
President: Luke Martin
Treasurer: Tom Flynn
Academic and Welfare: Geng Pen
Overseas Officer: Chitvan Bochiwal and Rubab Satti
National Post-Graduate Committee Officer: Peng Ren
Facilities Officer: Ming Luo

Huang was disqualified for breaching Rule 10 of the Rules and Regulations for Campaigning, which states that candidates “may not send out mass emails for campaigning purposes. Any candidate who sends out emails of this nature will be disqualified.”

1. “The by-election was called after Huang was disqualified for breaching Rule 10 of the Rules and Regulations for Campaigning, which states that candidates “may not send out mass emails for campaigning purposes. Any candidate who sends out emails of this nature will be disqualified.” Other positions which were previously uncontested were also included in the by-elections.”

This paragraph is entirely wrong. A by-election was not called because of Rui’s breach. That occurred during campaigning for this re-held election. Also, uncontested positions were not included in the rerun elections, rather those positions for which no nominations were forthcoming were elected this time.

Please edit this info so that it is correct ASAP. Thanks in advance.

2. The mistakes have been corrected