Women’s badminton ease past under-strength Huddersfield

York women’s badminton will have few easier fixtures this season than yesterday’s match, where Huddersfield were forced to forfeit two of their doubles rubbers before even entering the court…

UNIVERSITY OF YORK FIRSTS 8 vs. UNIVERSITY OF HUDDERSFIELD FIRSTS 0
BUCS League Northern Conference 2B, Wednesday 3rd December 2008

It’s been a mixed league season so far for the York women’s badminton team; a fantastic 8-0 victory against Bradford in their opening game was followed by a loss to Sheffield Hallam by the same score. However, they will have few easier fixtures this season than yesterday’s match, where Huddersfield were forced to forfeit two of their doubles rubbers before even entering the court.

Huddersfield’s failure to bring one of their double pairings meant that York entered the game with a 2-0 lead. Despite this, Huddersfield’s singles players were still very competitive however, and it took a strong team performance to claim the 8-0 whitewash that puts them second in the BUCS Northern Conference 2B.

It looked as if it would be even easier when York doubles pairing Liz McFadzean and Laura Suddaby stormed into a 7-1 lead in the first set against the sole Huddersfield pairing. The game did become closer, but York won the game comfortably 21-11, 21-9 to push the score to 3-0 overall.

Huddersfield looked like they might gain a score with an impressive performance from their singles player Jane Wooding against York’s Bekki Moore. Moore won a thrilling first set 21-16 only to lose the second 11-21. With the momentum seemingly against Moore it seemed as if Huddersfield would take the game, but she edged a close third set 21-16 to seal at least a draw for York. Even more impressively she stayed on court, despite being clearly exhausted, and beat Huddersfield’s other singles player 21-19, 21-16.

On the other court, York’s Nattha Tritasavit impressively defeated Huddersfield’s Lucy Collier 21-12, 21-14 and then faced Wooding with the match already sealed. Wooding had looked impressive earlier but, with the whitewash looming, she had little motivation and Tritasavit won the game easily to take the score to 8-0.

Captain Laura Rutter said after the match that she was thrilled with an “awesome performance.” She said that everything was “brilliant in general” and particularly praised the singles players. Her own performance in her doubles game must be noted though as her and her partner Lucy Wallington demolished Huddersfield’s doubles pairing 21-8, 21-10.

Rescheduling of matches mean York will visit Huddersfield as soon as next week for a repeat of this fixture. Today’s result means they are unlikely to lose sleep over this in the next seven days.