Hard fought draw with Hallam for Badminton seconds

The ever-confident James Hor saw off both his singles opponents to make up for Captain Tom Gatenby’s unlucky performances, earning York seconds a 4-4 draw with Sheffield Hallam seconds…

UNIVERSITY OF YORK SECONDS 4 vs. SHEFFIELD HALLAM UNIVERSITY SECONDS 4
BUCS League (Badminton) Northern Conference 3B, Wednesday 3rd December 2008

The ever-confident James Hor saw off both his singles opponents to make up for Captain Tom Gatenby’s unlucky performances, earning York seconds a 4-4 draw with Sheffield Hallam seconds. Doubles pairs Alex Chu/James Somerside and Chris Ashley/Mo Dutta both won one and lost one in an even and hard-fought BUCS League match. Gatenby’s team have been struggling of late and he used this match to experiment through a re-shuffle of the players.

James Somerside was paired with the talented, yet inconsistent, Alex Chu in the opening rubber and they won their first game convincingly, 21-12. However, they looked weak both on the serve and the return but really enjoyed the game and found their rhythm as it developed into longer rallies. Meanwhile, Chris ‘Cash’ Ashley and Mo Dutta registered a two-game loss, 19-21 and 10-21.

James Hor was involved, and promptly beaten, in the most impressive and longest rally of the whole contest, including an impressive behind-the-back shot from the swaggering Halifaxer. He won the first game of his second match 21-18, causing his Hallam opponent to lose his confidence and, through some easy shots missed, handed Hor a 21-10 victory and a draw for York.

In Chu and Somerside’s second game they lost their opening form and, despite some well-won points courtesy of Chu’s rapid movement, they lost their second set 16-21. In the final game, Chu and Somerside both regained their focus and were able to thrash their adversaries 21-9. However, despite an impressive first match, the York pair were beaten comprehensively by Hallam in their second match in only two games, going down 6-21 and 10-21.

In the first round of singles, Hor, in his first game, came back from 21-7 down in the opening set to comfortably beat his opponent 21-14 in an intense match which left Hallam’s player with a broken string on his racquet and a shuttlecock lodged in the net thanks to some powerful shots from both sides of the court. Hor’s second game was won just as comfortably, 21-13.

Dutta and Ashley, after not starting impressively, managed, through some good yet unconventional badminton, to beat their second opponents 21-18 and 21-16. They developed a strong partnership and won some good rallies.

Gatenby will be frustrated with his sets, after losing the first set 16-21 he managed to claw back the second to 20-19. However, he was unable to finish his first opponent off and eventually lost 20-22. In his second match, the player, who prefers doubles, was thrashed 9-21 and 6-21. However, due to Hor’s earlier victories York’s draw was secure.