Big freeze puts paid to Wedesday’s outdoor fixtures

Yorkshire’s bitter December weather has conspired to see many of Wednesday’s BUCS fixtures cancelled today after pitches were deemed ‘unplayable’ in the frosty winter conditons…

Yorkshire’s bitter December weather has conspired to see many of Wednesday’s BUCS fixtures cancelled today after pitches were deemed ‘unplayable’ in the frosty winter conditons.

It is another setback for the University of York and York Sport after a week and a half hit hard by a spate of postponements and cancellations. The culmination of the disappointment has come today, though, with the total write-off of all outdoor fixtures.

On the 22 Acres both the men’s football and rugby have been called-off whilst, unsurprisingly, the perilous tennis courts will also see no action from either the men or women’s first teams who were scheduled to play today.

More of a curve-ball is the news that the astro turf is unplayable. Despite the surface having been relayed in the summer, the cold temperatures have frozen the plastic grass, making it too dangerous for hockey. This means both the men’s match against Leeds and the women’s tie against Newcastle will not go ahead as planned.

For once the bad news ends at the Sports Centre entrance, though, and all indoor matches (apart from the fencing after a no-show from a food-poisoned Keele) will go ahead as planned. Basketball, badminton, netball and volleyball will take centre-stage. Expect match reports later in the day.

Currently, Nouse awaits the news of any rearranged fixtures, and will update accordingly…