Late drama as Langwith spoil Derwent’s frisbee dreams

A last-minute point scored in the very last match by four-man Langwith forced Derwent to share first place with James in Saturday’s Inter-college Frisbee tournament…

A last-minute point scored in the very last match by four-man Langwith forced Derwent to share first place with James in Saturday’s Inter-college Frisbee tournament. Alcuin were no-shows, conceding every match as only a solitary college member turned up, and Goodricke miraculously managed to score a point against Derwent in the second round of matches, despite only having two players.

The tournament went down to the wire, with the impressive Derwent just needing to beat Langwith, whose only points thus far had came from Goodricke and Alcuin, the two colleges that were forced to concede due to lack of numbers. However, despite having only four players, due to not fulfilling the quota of having at least two female team-members, Langwith managed to nick a draw in the last minute of the tournament, forcing Derwent to share the spoils with similarly unbeaten James.

Derwent, whose players will no doubt attempt to claim overall victory due to their superior points difference, looked on course for the necessary win against Langwith, going 2-0 up in the opening minutes. Despite this, Langwith replied with a score which really opened the game up and finally, scored literally seconds from the final whistle leave Derwent deflated.

Goodricke fared little better than basement side Alcuin. Their two players turned up for just long enough to secure their automatic ‘win’ over Alcuin, and even played a five-versus-two game against Derwent only losing 3-1.

Wentworth were also a force to be reckoned with, earning the biggest win against Langwith, with a score of 4-0. They also notched up a comfortable 3-1 victory over Halifax, but were beaten by the impressive Derwent 4-2. James were also part of a high-scoring match with the postgraduate college, both sides scoring plenty in an exciting 3-3 draw.

FINAL STANDINGS

Team Won Drew Lost Pts
Derwent 4 3 0 15
James 4 3 0 15
Wentworth 4 2 1 14
Vanbrugh 4 1 2 13
Halifax 3 3 2 11
Langwith 2 1 3 7
Goodricke 1 0 7 3
Alcuin 0 0 8 0

1. Wentworth 3rd in a College sports tournament – surely the college deserves some more recognition for this?!

2. well done to wentworth though terming frisbee a sport is a highly debateable topic. Maybe alcuin should have borrowed someones dog then they surely would have won.