Success for York seniors in small boats event

The University Boat Club hosted the annual small boats competition last weekend, with consistently good performances from the entire squad on the stretch of the River Ouse between the club’s Fulford boathouse and the Lowther jetty…

The University Boat Club hosted the annual small boats competition last weekend, with consistently good performances from the entire squad on the stretch of the River Ouse between the club’s Fulford boathouse and the Lowther jetty.

Raessa Chowdhury was the star performer here, winning her event in a time of 14 minutes 13.3 seconds as the women’s first fours produced a brilliant performance in icy conditions. She was backed up by Joanne Rea, who came in fourth out of twelve entrants in a time of 15 minutes 11.9 seconds.

In the men’s S3 category, the high-points scoring event, Jack Savage led home the York challenge in sixth position out of ten in a time of 12 seconds 36.6 seconds, followed by Dane Moore, ninth in 13 minutes 11.4 seconds.

Elsewhere, Alexandra Hassall was placed highest out of the novice women’s team, and mid-field in her race, completing the route in 15 minutes 26.8 seconds. Other members of the team who finished in the overall top 300 places included Edd Davenport (232nd) and Sophie Mottram (278th).

As Nouse exclusively reported this week, the University Boat Club’s ability to participate in national competitions has been endangered by massive budget cuts for 2008-2009.