Key victory against Bangor has fencing firsts back on track

York men’s fencing firsts defeated a strong Bangor side yesterday to go within three points of the leaders in BUCS Northern Conference 1A…

University of York 127 vs. University of Bangor 106
Men’s Fencing, BUCS Northern Conference 1A, Wednesday 26th November 2008

Teamwork is not a word often associated with fencing, but the York firsts produced some fine work as a team yesterday with every fencer making a valuable contribution to a well-deserved win against Bangor in BUCS Northern Conference 1A.

“We have been looking a bit hazy for a couple of weeks but there was an improvement from pretty much everybody today,” said team captain Harry Whitwell after the tie.

Once again York excelled in the foil, winning it 45-28, and Whitwell was joined by specialists Ben Raynor and James Quelch in displaying some much improved fencing in the point discipline.

Mens Fencing vs Bangor 26-11-2008: Sam Newsome

York out-fenced Bangor yesterday

(Sam Fleming)

Raynor’s performance drew particular praise from his captain: “Ben had the best indicator in the foil (+14), winning one fight 8-0 and he, along with myself, probably made the most marked improvement from the disappointing display last week.”

York were beaten by Manchester last Wednesday but this performance will go a long way to help their push for the title; the team now lie in third spot, three behind Leeds and Manchester who are tied with 12 points apiece.

After losing the epee 45-37, York dominated the sabre (45-33) before wrapping up the contest in the foil.

“We won the foil really comfortably, whereas the sabre was a little closer. But in the end was a fantastic victory following Pav’s (Pavel Gusanov) fight against there number one. There was some brilliant fencing from Pav – the best we have seen him yet.”

The fencing team host Keele and then travel to Newcastle in the next few weeks and will be hoping to build on yesterday’s win now that they are officially “back on the ball.”