Lacrosse men in excellent display against league leaders

York couldn’t beat a talented Sheffield side in the men’s lacrosse today, but put in a very credible display nevertheless…

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 3 vs. UNIVERSITY OF SHEFFIELD 10
Men’s Lacrosse, BUCS Northern Conference 1B, Wednesday 26th November 2008

Playing in Northern Conference 1B, the University of York Lacrosse team is mixing it with the some of the best players in the north of England and, boasting a team with three England U19 international players, Sheffield provided a particularly stern test today.

Sheffield arrived as hot favourites for tie given their quality and reputation as one of the best teams in the country, so it was no surprise that they picked up the eventual win. But York produced a performance of great endevour to hold their visitors their narrowest winning margin (seven) in what has been an unbeaten season so far for Sheffield.

York’s goals came in the form of two from captain Harry Collins in the first half and another from Richard Ramsbottom in the second.

Mens Lacrosse v Sheffield, 26-11-08, Photo: Justyn Hardcastle

York can be proud of an excellent effort against a very strong Sheffield side

(Justyn Hardcastle)

The hosts defended superbly for three of the four quarters, keeping the score to 3-2 in the first quarter and managing to shut out their opponents entirely in the third.

“Sheffield is a team that is running away with the league at the moment. Their side is full of talent, so it was a great effort by the whole team to match them for so long,” said Collins after the game.

“I’m sure they will appreciate that we gave them a good game, seeing as they have been battering teams most weeks.”

York go to Hull and Newcastle next in games that Collins feels the team “should win”. If they do so, the firsts will finish the season with more wins than losses – a very credible achivement.

York currently lie comfortably in mid-table safety in the league.