Duo share the spoils in college run

OVERALL RESULT
1= Halifax 7 points
1= Vanbrugh 7points
3. James 5 points

Halifax and Vanbrugh both picked up a maximum seven points in Saturday’s 4.5km college cross-country run to boost their overall standings in the college league.

Martin?Proctor recorded a stunning time of 15 minutes 19 seconds to take first place in the men’s event with James team-mate Jonathan Blunden second and Langwith’s David Harper third.
A single girl in the women’s top four would have given James the overall victory but, despite its close proximity to the sports centre, college sports reps couldn’t unearth any female runners willing to take part.

Marathon runner and Halifax stalwart Emily Scott strode to victory in 20 minutes 11 seconds in the women’s event with Vanbrugh’s Sarah Hill and Cloe Moore completing the top three.

“At certain points the course seemed more suitable for swimming than running it was so boggy, so my hat goes off to the competitors,” said satisfied organiser and AU Vice-President Adam Clark after the race. Clarke was also pleased by a healthy turnout of around fifty runners from all colleges bar the conspicously absent Alcuin.

“It was great to see so many running in what has sometimes been a poorly attended event,” said Clark. “Nearly all the colleges were well represented apart from Alcuin. It was especially impressive on such a cold and uninviting day.”

The format of the tournament saw the top two runners from each college scoring a point each but, crucially, bonus points were awarded for finishing in the top seven places in the men’s and women’s events.

Starting from the pavillion on the 22 acres, the runners faced both golfers and A64 traffic before returning to the rugby pitches and through the finish line.

Langwith college and an impressive peformance from the often under-prepared Wentworth completed the top five with Derwent,?Goodricke and Alcuin holding up the rear.