Cup success for York teams in whirlwind Wednesday

Several of York’s sports teams are a step closer to silverware in the BUCS Cup after some spectacular displays in the second round last Wednesday.

The men’s football firsts battled their way to victory against Northumbria University seconds. The win was sealed with a Mark Gouland strike, an opposition own goal, and a last-minute tap-in from substitute Anton Murphy. In a favourable twist of fate, York have been drawn to play Northumbria’s fourt team in the third round. Captain Matt Witherwick would be pleased with a professional performance from his side against aggressive opponents, who had their central-midfielder dismissed for aiming a punch at Dom O’Shea.

Unfortunately, York’s second and third men’s football teams will go no further in the BUCS Cup after comprehensive defeats. The seconds lost 5-0 against Leeds Met thirds and the third team succumbed to their Northumbria counterparts, losing 6-0 at home.

The netball first team butchered Sunderland seconds on Wednesday by an impressive 55-2 margin. Sunderland hardly touched the ball after York had established a fluid rhythm early on. Unfortunately, play was abandoned when Sunderland suffered an injury in the third quarter, denying York a potential three-figure win. The netball seconds are also through to the next stage after beating Sheffield Hallam 39-21 in what was a tight, tense affair.

A win in the cup this week was imperative for boosting the morale of York’s struggling tennis teams. The men’s firsts duly delivered, beating Leeds University seconds and winning three out of four singles matches. The quality of the game was undermined by poor weather conditions and dangerously slippery court surfaces, but the players still showed talent under pressure and will enter the next round with renewed optimism. The seconds, however, stuggled in the damp and went down 8-2 against Sheffield Hallam seconds.

There was also progress for the men’s rugby firsts courtesy of a walkover and they now face Northumbria fourths away in the next round.?Meanwhile, the second team were unable to register any points, losing 34-0 to Leeds University seconds. Leeds’ disciplined defence and lightning counter-attacks proved decisive.

Elsewhere, the men’s hockey firsts crashed out, losing 4-0 to Durham thirds. The women’s firsts, however, are through, having beaten Leeds Trinity and All Saints 24-0. But they now face a significantly tougher challenge against Sheffield University firsts in the next round.
Final words go to the Basketball team, who lost valiantly against Chester 59-101.