Vanbrugh defeat Alcuin in spirited college netball match

A flurry of early second half goals by Vanbrugh proved enough as they overcame a determined Alcuin side in college netball yesterday…

A flurry of early second half goals by Vanbrugh proved enough as they overcame a spirited Alcuin side.

Both sides matched each other in the first half, which ended 5-5 at the whistle. The second half started with some decent Alcuin possession but they couldn’t make it count as Vanbrugh broke on the counter and took the lead. Vanbrugh had several chances to double their lead but the ball wouldn’t drop in for them.

The pressure finally told though and Vanbrugh began to establish a growing lead. Alcuin continually struggled to hold onto possession in the second half with Vanbrugh closing the ball down well and as such found it hard to establish a foothold in the game. Vanbrugh made it 8-5 through a good shot from just inside the circle by goal shooter Amelia Hogg.

After another well worked Vanbrugh goal, Alcuin got their much awaited first second half score after some good movement and then pulled another back after some good work to make it 9-7; was there a comeback on the cards?

Unfortunately for Alcuin, any hopes of a comeback were quickly quashed as Vanbrugh, unlucky not to add another couple of goals to their score, made it into double figures. This was after Alcuin, unable to get ship the ball out of their own half, gave away possession and Vanbrugh duly took advantaged with goal attacker Laura Tinkler swishing home. Vanbrugh added an eleventh before the game was cut short due to the court booking coming to an end. It is unlikely that this would have affected the final result as the game stopped with Vanbrugh very much in the acendency, looked likely only to increase their lead. In the end a great team understanding and swift movement made the difference.

In the days other matches, Langwith were demolished by Derwent 15-2 and James edged a high scoring encounter 23-20 against Goodricke.