Seconds show badminton’s strength in depth

York seconds put their slow start to the season behind them, easily overcoming a sluggish Bradford first team 7-1 in the second round of the BUCS cup…

UNIVERSITY OF YORK SECONDS 7 vs. UNIVERSITY OF BRADFORD FIRSTS 1
BUCS Cup (Badminton) Men’s Second Round, Wednesday 19th November 2008

York seconds put their slow start to the season behind them, showing a fantastic combination of spirit and skill to easily overcome a sluggish Bradford first team 7-1 in the second round of the BUCS cup.

It could have well been a whitewash in the Main Hall but for an “epic display of complacency” from doubles pair Tom Gatenby and Alex Chu, who lost out by two sets to one in their first game. This result, however, was a mere stain on what was a sparkling performance all around.

Singles star James Hor showed why he is deserving of a first team call up, with an versatile display with the racket, pummeling Bradford with a mixture of ferocious smashes and intricate net shots to win both his games 2-0.

Captain Gatenby afterwards stressed the importance of not becoming complacent, though arguing the team “should play every match as if we are playing the team at the top of our league.”

Badminton 2nds vs. Bradford 1sts, 19.11.08, Photo: George Lowther

York’s badminton teams are in good from this term

(George Lowther)

The skipper and his partner Alex Chu did manage to put their earlier defeat behind them by winning 2-0 in the other doubles game. Smash ‘n’ Grab partners James Somerside and Chris Ashley had a smoother ride winning both their games 2-0 with a fantastic blend of badminton styles.

Newcomer Tahir Shetty was quite easily the star of the show, not because of overwhelming technique or skill, but due to his sheer determination. Shetty, a product of the men’s thirds, received a well earned call up to the seconds and he certainly repaid his team-mates for the faith they had shown him. As Tom Gatenby echoed: “He puts in 110%. He had a couple of close singles games, but he was putting in a little bit more effort than his opposition.”

This was certainly the case as the young fresher frustrated his opposition, his Bradford opponents crying out in despair as his stamina and calmness helped him to win both singles matches 2-1. It was plain to see that York’s team mentality was one of the reasons why they were able to beat strong opposition in the way they did.

“We have great team spirit. In fact, not only do we dominate the court but we also love a good dance at Ziggy’s. Amongst the badminton society, we’re infamous for our dancing ability,” Gatenby added.