Football seconds thrashed in BUCS Cup

York seconds were dumped out the BUCS Cup at the second round stage following a disappointing defeat by Leeds Met thirds on the 22 Acres this afternoon…

BUCS Cup Men’s Second Round, Wednesday 19th November 2008

York seconds were dumped out the BUCS Cup at the second round stage following a disappointing defeat by Leeds Met thirds on the 22 Acres this afternoon.

York looked vulnerable defensively as Leeds Met racked up five unanswered goals, with the three during the first half meaning that the game had ended as contest even before the break. The second half was, mercifully, a tighter affair but York didn’t once trouble the opposing goalkeeper. In fact, they didn’t manage a single shot on target throughout the entire match.

York started with the majority of possession but looked vulnerable to the counter-attack against a pacey Leeds Met midfield. But the first goal put past the home side was slightly fortunate, arriving when Leeds Met broke through on the wing, bypassing York’s shaky defence, and sending a teasing low cross into the box. York goalkeeper Sam Clitheroe could only get his fingertips to the ball as it skidded along the six-yard line, parrying it only as far as Leeds Met’s winger, who promptly placed the ball in the back of the net.

York did attempt to pick themselves up after this setback, but their defence really did struggle due to Leeds Met’s incisive counter-attacking style and the visitor’s second was also scored on the break.

The first half was also marked with injury for York as Joe Cooper went down following a challenge, injured his left arm where it had once been broken earlier in his career. With York were down to ten men, Cooper being treated, Leeds Met scored their third; a free-kick headed home York again didn’t get tight enough in the box. Cooper was promptly substituted for Ben Smith.

In the second half, York only really threatened from set plays, as Leeds Met continued to apply pressure in open play. The few chances that York had were directed over the crossbar by striker Dan Cox. The fourth goal scored by Leeds Met was practically walked into the net as, yet again, York’s defence dived in too eagerly. All it took was a clever turn by the Leeds Met striker and he had a clear run on goal.

Mark Worrall saved York from more humiliation by clearing an effort off the line after keeper Clitheroe had unsuccessfully attempted to charge down an opposing striker, leaving the goal wide open. Leeds’ final goal was slotted home from the edge of the sixteen-yard box.

Overall, York never looked complete defensively and failed to push forward convincingly. The team will be disappointed with the frequency and ease with which they gave away the ball; an area needing much work in the coming weeks.