Golfers’ title challenge hit after Newcastle defeat

The University of York golf team suffered their first loss of the season season last wednesday, going down four and a half to one and a half against a classy Newcastle side…

The University of York golf team suffered its first loss of the season season last wednesday, going down four and a half to one and a half against a classy Newcastle side.

The team has been in good form recently, with a very credible draw at home to Sheffield Hallam and a walkover against Leeds Trinity and All Saints, but couldn’t maintain the run on the green grass of Fulford Golf Club. Newcastle fielded a team boasting six golfers with handicaps between two and six – very strong numbers for university level – and their quality proved too much for York.

Notable performances for York came from number four Dave Harder who produced a solid display to win 2 and 1 and number two and club secretary Mark Thompson, who holed a three-foot putt to claim a half in his tie.

The loss is a set back for York in Northern Conference 2B, but the team still lies in third place behind an unbeaten Hull side and Sheffield Hallam.

Next up for York is an away tie against Sunderland on 26th November where they will be looking to get their title challenge up and running again.