It’s back to winning ways for York after 2-0 win

The men’s football firsts produced a superb team performance against Leeds Met Carnegie in the Northern Universities League first division today…

York produced a superb team performance against Leeds Met Carnegie in the Northern Universities League first division today.

A first half own-goal and a Mark Gouland lob – something which is fast becoming his trademark – secured the points for York. In truth, though, the home team should have had more.

In a dominant first half York peppered the Leeds goal, hitting the woodwork and forcing the keeper into some stunning saves and his heroics were the only thing keeping the visitors in the game until Gouland’s strike wrapped up the win.

Fortunately, York was able to bring in some talented reserves to replace the likes of injured centre-back Laurie Swann. Joe Brennan stood out in the game from his central midfield role and his university football experience will no doubt become invaluable over the course of the season.

Elsewhere, debutant Chris Barnett, promoted from the second team for this game, put in an solid display at right wing-back; an encouraging sign considering that the regular in that position, Jonny MacWilliams, is unavailable for many of the NUL ties this term.

York’s struggles in BUCS have been in sharp contrast to their NUL form. Last Wednesday’s loss to Sheffield Hallam meant they are yet to pick up their first BUCS win but they have been exemplary in NUL and remain unbeaten in the competition.

A thoroughly deserved victory owed much to the quality of performance throughout the team today. Having been a little too reliant on the passing abilities of ex-Darlington man Mark McLeod in recent games the team is now beginning to show a more balanced approach that bodes well for the rest of the season.

Elsewhere, the second team couldn’t match the firsts’ efforts and was completely outplayed by Leeds Met Carnegie, losing 3-0.