Football firsts outclassed by Sheffield Hallam in defeat

An efficient Sheffield Hallam side beat York firsts 1-0 to leave the footballers still searching for their first BUCS win of the season…

UNIVERSITY OF YORK FIRSTS 0 vs. SHEFFIELD HALLAM FIRSTS 1

BUCS Northern Conference Men’s 2B, Wednesday 12th November 2008

A well-organised Sheffield Hallam team scored the only goal in a tight game to frustrate York’s football firsts once again. The decisive goal was headed home from a free-kick early in the first half, and has left York still searching for their first win of the season in BUCS Northern Conference 2B.

The visitors had given York prior warning of their danger from set plays when a direct free-kick hit the top of the crossbar in the first minute. Hallam continued to threaten from corners throughout the game and York was fortunate that Hallam failed to convert their chances into more goals.

Men's Football vs. Sheffield Hallam, 12.11.2008, photo by Alexandru Hristea (2)

York striker Dan Cox was given little space in which to

operate by a disciplined Hallam side (Alexandru Hristea)

The game started at great intensity, with Hallam piling on the pressure in the early stages, and the away side were quickly rewarded with an early goal. They then showed great discipline in defending their advantage, closing down York all across the pitch and denying them the space to get back into the game.

It wasn’t until later in the half that the game began to settle and York was able to hold possession for any length of time. The home side had very few chances in the first half, although the best of these was squandered by reserve striker Dan Cox, who poked the ball wide after Mark McLeod had flicked on a free-kick.

The second half did start more brightly for the home side, with York allowed a little more space to play. However, York looked bereft of creativity up front and wing-backs Alex Cooper and Shaun Evans were often left with very few options.

Men's Football vs. Sheffield Hallam, 12.11.2008, photo by Alexandru Hristea (7)

York failed to win the midfield battle and slumped to another BUCS defeat

(Alexandru Hristea)

Hallam continued to mark tightly and pressure their opponents into losing possession but also looked the more likely side in attack. They displayed some excellent off the ball movement and had the pace to really worry York’s defensive line. In the latter stages of the match, Hallam was guilty of some poor finishing and this, at times, appeared to be the only factor keeping the scoreline respectable for York. York’s goalkeeper Andrew Emmerson deserves mention as on more than one occasion he kept York in the game with a fine save.

In truth it was a poor game for York who struggled defensively throughout and posed little threat going forwards.