Men tear apart rivals Durham in BUCS lacrosse

Three quarters of dominant lacrosse gave York an easy victory against Durham today as they finally opened their BUCS account in Northern Conference 1B…

Northern Conference 1B

Three quarters of dominant lacrosse gave York an easy victory against Durham today as they finally opened their BUCS account in Northern Conference 1B.

Tireless work earlier in the game had helped York to establish an insurmountable 11-1 lead going into the fourth quarter and it mattered little as the home side took its foot off the gas late on and allowed Durham some rare time and space with the ball.

Mens Lacrosse v Durham, 12-11-08, Photo: Justyn Hardcastle

York dominated proceedings against old rivals Durham in BUCS today

(Justyn Hardcastle)

Traditionally these two teams have been fairly evenly matched but York looked sharper in every area of the pitch and put in a ruthless attacking performance against their old rivals.

“We always expect a tight game against Durham, who have a strong side, so it was a very pleasing victory for us today,” said captain Harry Collins after the game.

“We suffered from a combination of tiredness and complacency late in the fourth and we know that against a better team we would have been punished for some sloppy play, but in the end we’ve come away with a good win.”

For the first three quarters York was in exceptional form. Richard Ramsbottom stood out for the home side – his name a frequent presence on the scoresheet – and his partnership with new-boy Krishna Balam in attack flourished as York grew in confidence as the game progressed.

Mens Lacrosse v Durham, 12-11-08 Photo: Justyn Hardcastle

Richard Ramsbottom twists away from a Durham defender (Justyn Hardcastle)

It has been a difficult start in the BUCS league for the men’s lacrosse team this term, losing 3-6 against Leeds Met Carnegie 1sts in the division opener and then 4-18 two weeks ago against Leeds University 1sts.

“Those first two games put us up against some very good teams,” said Collins, “But Durham has lost two of its strong Points from last year, whilst we’ve been quite lucky with our freshers.”

For a non-mainstream sport such as Lacrosse, the arrival of new players with some previous playing experience each October can be of real benefit early in the season and, in the diminutive Balam, York has just that.

“We’re all pleased for Krishna after he broke his duck today,” said Collins. “The lads have been giving him some stick over the last couple of weeks because he’s played a bit before and hadn’t yet found the back of the net, but in truth it’s great to have a promising fresher with his qualities come in to the team.”

Predictably, an eleven-goal winning margin saw the attackers enjoy most of the limelight, but Collins was quick to emphasise the importance of an assured performance from his goalkeeper, Ben Robinson.

“It’s quite a feat to keep the score to two in lacrosse, so a lot of credit must go to Ben for his performance.”

Next up for York’s men in BUCS is an away tie against Northumbria on the 19th November.

Elsewhere the women’s lacrosse team strolled to a 23-0 win against Sheffield Hallam, making it three wins out of four in BUCS and giving them a monstrous goal-difference of +47.

1. excellent commentary! won;t be long before you’ll be playing up the divisions !