Mixed fortunes for York in Saturday’s NUL action

York men’s football first team beat Lancaster to preserve their unbeaten NUL record today, while the second and third teams struggled…

Three of York’s football teams made the journey across the Pennines on Saturday afternoon to tackle the University of Central Lancaster in the latest Northern Universities League matchday. As has become the norm, however, there would be contrasting outcomes: while the first team achieved victory to preserve their unbeaten NUL record, there were setbacks for the seconds and thirds.

Matt Witherwick’s firsts bounced back in style from their disappointing midweek BUCS League reverse at Durham, recording a 3-1 win in the North-West courtesy of goals from Dan Cox, Joe Brennan and a 30-yard free-kick by Mark Johnson. With two victories and one draw from their first three fixtures, York sit handily in second position, trailing Leeds University firsts, who won 2-1 away at Manchester today, by three points with a game in hand. York will host Leeds Met in their next NUL game a week today.

The seconds, meanwhile, were well beaten 4-1 – Remi Remington scoring the consolation – in a sharp comedown from their opening two NUL fixtures, which had seen excellent victories over Leeds University and Bradford. Following BUCS action against Newcastle thirds on Wednesday, they welcome an in-form Leeds Met side next time around.

York thirds were slightly fortunate to escape with a narrow 1-0 defeat, after UCLAN squandered numerous chances in this Division Three game. The result was an unwanted disappointment after recent results, which had seen good wins over Bradford and York St. John in the past seven days.