York women’s rugby firsts steamroll Hull

York WRUFC firsts overcame a shaky start to register a comprehensive win over University of Hull firsts yesterday…

UNIVERSITY OF YORK WOMEN’S FIRSTS 29 UNIVERSITY OF HULL WOMEN’S FIRSTS 5

BUCS Northern Conference 2B, Wednesday 5th November 2008

York WRUFC firsts overcame a shaky start to register a comprehensive win over University of Hull firsts yesterday. Tries by Chrissie Leahy, Kate Fullilove, Lizzie Prance and a brace from Emma Cooper gave York a convincing victory by a 29-5 scoreline.

The day couldn’t have got any worse for Hull when, in the last minute, one of their forwards badly injured her leg. Hull had managed a try in return, though, at the end of the first half and it briefly threatened to open the game up. However, due to York’s dominance of the second half, it ended as no more than a consolation.

Prior to the first, early try by Cooper, York did appear flustered on the ball and Hull were allowed to dominate the first few scrums. However, following York’s first cleanly won scrum, some clever passing enabled Cooper to sprint down the left wing and score. This lifted York’s spirit and they began to impose themselves on the game as the forwards got into their stride, piling the pressure on Hull.

Womens Rugby vs Hull 1sts, 5/11/08, Photo: Justyn Hardcastle

York were dominant in the women’s rugby against Hull

(Justyn Hardcastle)

York’s second try was a long time coming and it was put away by Leahy, following a strong and direct drive from prop, Kirsty Wheeler.

The second half began tightly with both sides piling on the pressure in the centre and finding it tough to break the line of defence. Eventually, York broke through on the wings, with quick-fire tries by Prance, Cooper and Fullilove. Some exceptional play in York’s penultimate try saw Prance dart past several Hull defenders, yet unselfishly pass to Cooper with the try-line at her mercy, allowing her teamate to score her second of the day.

Hull seemed unable to get the ball out of their twenty-two, let alone out of their half as York remained tight defensively, preventing the away side from getting a foothold in the game the visitors often lacked confidence on the ball. York’s defensive teamwork and confidence going forward led to an impressive display and a convincing victory.