Doubles strength preserves York’s unbeaten start

York men’s badminton team continued their unbeaten start to the season with a hard-fought 5-3 victory over Northumbria today…

BUCS Men’s Northern Conference 2B, Wednesday 5 November 2008

York men’s badminton team continued their unbeaten start to the season with a hard-fought 5-3 victory over Northumbria today. Commanding performances from both doubles pairs, particularly captain William Wiseman and his partner Patrick Clarke, gave York a clean sweep of the doubles rubbers, making up for some disappointing close defeats in the singles.

With York needing a victory in the last game to clinch the match, Wiseman and Clarke stepped up and gave a confident performance to win the game 21-12, 21-17 taking the overall match score to 5-3. This victory gives York their third win from three games this season and puts them second, behind an in-form Durham, in the BUCS Men’s Northern Conference 2B.

Wiseman praised his whole team after the match and highlighted that, despite the doubles dominance, there had been some strong singles performances, including a victory for Duy Hung that helped clinch the “important and much needed win”. His partner Clarke said that the score was a little “flattering” to Northumbria – a comment they might have disputed, with the visitors showing strong play in the middle of the match.

Mens Badminton v Northumbria, 5/11/08, Photo: Justyn Hardcastle

Ricky Kanabar and doubles partner John Choi

(Justyn Hardcastle)

York started the match with confidence on and off the court with doubles player Ricky Kanabar stating that he expected a victory and it was him and his partner John Choi who helped the team towards their first major scalp. The second-ranked duo beat Northumbria’s number one doubles pairing in the fourth game taking the score to 3-1, at which point York were threatening to run away with the fixture.

However, strong Northumbria singles performances, particularly from Carl Gibbons, put them back in the match. Gibbons beat Edward Chuck 21-14, 21-11, before defeating Duy Hung, who was clearly exhausted from his earlier victory. After losing the first set, Hung established a 20-15 lead in the second, only to fall victim to a remarkable fight-back from Gibbons that won the game for Northumbria.

Elsewhere, an epic three-setter between Chuck and Northumbria’s Chris Harrison was the game of the day, with Chuck staging an unlikely comeback from 17-10 down in the third, only to lose the set 22-20. This defeat took the overall score to 3-3 with the momentum seemingly with Northumbria.

However, Kanabar and Choi produced another dominant performance to comfortably win their second game 21-10, 21-16 – clinching at least a draw and putting York on the verge of victory. It then fell on Wiseman and Clarke to secure a tense win that continues a highly impressive start to York’s badminton season.