YUSU to lobby for 24 hour library facilities

The JB Morrell Library could soon be open 24 hours a day if plans by YUSU get the go-ahead.
The proposal comes after a survey of student satisfaction with library services found that many students are frustrated with the current opening hours, especially in the lead-up to summer term exams.
A motion proposed by YUSU Academic and Welfare Officer Charlie Leyland was passed by YUSU council last week, mandating Leyland and YUSU President Tom Scott to lobby the University for 24-hour library opening hours during term-time, including week 0, and to extend vacation opening to 8:30am-2am.
However, speaking to Nouse, Leyland admitted that the proposal is at a very early stage, and that there are many hurdles to be overcome: “We can’t do this half-heartedly, we can’t make this change without having the necessary provisions in place,” she said. “We need to improve security so that the library is not misused, especially by members of the public,” she added.
“Also, we don’t want to be seen to condone people working for 24 hours, so we need to look into welfare provisions and doing campaigns about how to manage your academic workload.”
However, citing several examples of other universities across the country that have already implemented 24-hour opening, Leyland is optimistic that the proposal will be successful, and stressed her determination to see it through.
That determination is shared by YUSU Policy and Campaigns Officer Tom Langrish. Langrish described the library hours in the lead-up to exams as “shocking”, adding: “A world-class university like York needs and deserves a world-class library. At the moment, York’s library does not cater for the diverse student population at key points of the year.”
In response to last term’s YUSU’s Student Satisfaction Survey, the library extended its opening hours towards the end of the summer vacation, although it continued to close its doors at 9pm each day. This followed another minor extension of hours in January this year, when the opening time was moved from 9am to 8:30am, Monday to Friday.

1. Interesting that other reports I’ve read suggest that there has been no consultation or comment from students about it when in fact there have been plenty… and I have to say that this article has kept journalism quality high and bias low. Hopefully students can put enough pressure on the university to extend the times without too much grief!