YUSU rebrand planned

A re-branding of the University of York Students’ Union is currently underway, with the hope of uniting all branches of YUSU under one, large “umbrella brand.”

YUSU Societies and Communications Officer, Rory Shanks, expressed dissatisfaction with the current branding of the Union, after feeling that students did not recognise many campus institutions as part of the Union.

Speaking of a “disjointed situation,” he commented that students generally “recognise individual entities rather than one large Union body.” He also hopes the re-brand will help to reinforce to students the “Your Union: Your Profit” iniative.

Proposed at the Union Co-ordination Committee, the move has been welcomed by much of the Union. Early reservations were voiced by LGBT representatives, who were concerned as to the funding of the process, and whether their section of the Union would still receive equal representation under the new branding.

“We wanted to be sure that any necessary costs for rebranding wouldn’t come out of the diversity budget, and we were concerned about visibility. We wanted to ensure that the new brand represented us as well as the old one did,” commented LGBT Officers, Ben Humphreys and Sarah Fennell.

“However any initial concerns about possible financial ramifications or loss of visibility for the campaign have been comprehensively dealt with by the consultation process,” they added. “LGBT is now very happy with the principle of creating a united and visible YUSU brand in which LGBT has its own distinct sub-brand.”

Re-branding across campus is planned to begin in January 2009