Circus-inspired makeup

advises how to sort your hair and makeup for the “circus trend” that will be all over this summer’s festivals and raves, advising vivid, bright colours, and plenty of purchases at MAC. Discover a difficult trend made easy

This daring circus-inspired look is perfect for standing out at both festivals and summer raves.

Step 1: Face
Keep the face’s base matte with MAC Studio Fix foundation, which works by absorbing oils into the skin. Add a little Talc for good coverage which still allows the skin to breathe.

Step 2: Cheeks
Stick with a natural colour like Rimmel’s Mono Plush – Pink Rose; a silky smooth blusher powder that won’t break the bank either.

Step 3: Eyes
For statement eye makeup you need hard lines – only achievable by using a black liquid eyeliner. Apply to the inner and outer eyelids and finish with a flying flick. Give eyelashes extra volume with multiple applications. The key to this look is offsetting the punky eye make-up with ridiculous amounts of glitter. gives shimmer and sparkle and is what will put you in the limelight. Any Barry M products are great for glitter, but to avoid the mess; try Urban Decay’s Silver Glitter Gel which comes with a brush for easier application.

Step 4: Lips
To maintain the circus feel, lips should be vivid and bright. No one does colour like MAC, so use a bright coral-red lipstick like Lady Danger to be bang on the trend. If this is too much for you, try skipping the glitter on the brows and using it on the lips instead. A simple sweep of Barry M glitter lip paint in a shade of choice should do the trick.

Step 5: Hair
Candyfloss hair is all over the catwalks this summer, so chuck out the straighteners and get backcombing! Start with a voloumising shampoo and conditioner – I recommend Paul Mitchell – and follow with a forceful blow-drying using a stiff round brush. For further volume try Aussie Dual Personality Texturing and Conditioning Gel Spray.