YUSU protest to force Cantor to change Langwith decision

YUSU are to stage a protest this afternoon to lobby Brian Cantor to change the university’s decison not to start work on Langwith Bar over the summer.

The protest is set to take place at this evening’s, where Vice-Chancellor Cantor will be speaking in V/045 at 17.15.

Organised by YUSU Policy and Campaigns Officer Tom Langrish, it is hoped that a show of strength by the student body will pressurise Cantor to over-rule a decision made last week by Director of Facilities Management Keith Lilley, who declared that the necessary work on the bar would only begin during October.

“Our aim is to make sure the Vice-Chancellor and other university staff know how much an October opening for the bar means to York students. The meeting today is just the start as we have a fair few ideas for the next week,” declared Langrish.

Langrish hopes to get as many students as possible to meet at the YUSU student centre between 4pm-5pm, where they will be given a dust suit, face mask, lots of information about the bar and questions to ask Cantor.

“Dust suits, which are used by contractors when removing asbestos, are being used to show Cantor that we are completely behind this project,” added Langrish.

“All students are invited to come. We have about 200 dust suits to give out!” Langrish continued.

Zach Pepper, Langwith JCRC Chair, stated: “This is OUR bar, run for and by the students, let’s get it done and make this
university a better place.”

The protest comes just hours after an Emergency UGM Motion submitted by Pepper calling on YUSU Exec to lobby the University and Cantor to move the Langwith work to over the summer break.

Sam Bayley, YUSU Societies and Communications Officer, said: ‘”The students have spoken on this one. We are putting everything behind this campaign and we will show the university that we mean business when it comes to improving the student experience.”

The UGM motion was passed by 353 votes to 16, with 4 abstensions.