New YUSU constitution outlined at UGM

The final Union General Meeting of the year has seen the culmination of YUSU’s constitutional review.

A motion to press for extended library opening hours and the ratification of the Union’s budget for the 2008/09 session were also proposed, as well as an emergency motion to add­ress the current problems with the Langwith bar project.

Introducing the motion proposing amendments to the YUSU constitution, President Anne-Marie Canning promised: “We’ve kept the best bits, like the UGMs, but we’ve changed the bits that needed changing.” The amendments advocate the merging of the Student Development and Charities Officer with the post of Societies and Communi­cations Officer to create a Student Activities Officer. It was also proposed that the role of the Academic and Welfare Officer be split into two positions following recommendations from the Union’s organisation review conducted by Judith Courts.

Services and Finance Officer Matt Burton proposed YUSU’s finalised budget for the next academic session. Burton told the meeting: “We are looking to really develop our commercial areas to try and generate a bit more self-economy so that we can further fund our activities.” The budget is expected to pass without opposition.

A motion which calls for YUSU to campaign for the extension of library opening hours was written and introduced by Policy and Campa­igns Officer Tom Langrish.

He referred to recent student satisfaction surveys which indicated a strong desire amongst students for increased opening hours. “In a seven day working week, there are 168 hours, out of which our library is closed for 35%,” he stated.

The motion argues that the existing opening times are irregular and confusing and do not meet the needs of those preparing assessed work.

Online voting on all motions runs until Thur­sday at www.yusu.org.