New ISA President makes call for unity

Adam Malik has been elected the new President of the International Student Association (ISA) on a promise to unify international students and increase awareness of the body on campus.

Malik said that the ISA has in the past been considered out of touch.

“The ISA has an image, and it appears that the main body isn’t in touch. We should be the intervening point between international societies.” He stressed that the heads of the relevant societies needed to communicate more, and to interact with each other.

“We need a link between African, Asian, and European societies. It doesn’t matter if you are African or Asian – we are all internationals,” he said.”

Malik, previously Welfare Officer for the ISA, beat fellow Malaysian Jit Kok to the post.

In his acceptance speech, Malik stressed the importance of an approachable President; “It’s a great honour to do this, to be your next President. But I don’t even see it that way; I see myself as a way for you to make yourselves heard.”

Both candidates were critical of the relationship between YUSU and the ISA, however Malik announced his intentions to build a stronger relationship between the two bodies.

Clearly delighted by the result, Malik described his hopes for “a very exciting year ahead.”