Police to investigate drug use on campus

Cocaine mapped across campus

A police spokesperson has confirmed that police are actively investigating drug use at the University in response to a Nouse investigation which found positive tests for cocaine at 24 campus locations.

The investigation into campus drug use is being handled by York Criminal Investigation Department (CID). The spokesperson confirmed the findings were being looked into but would not release any more details as the investigation is ongoing.

POSITIVE LOCATIONS

Heslington Hall
Basement: Men and Women
First Floor: Unisex
Information Centre
Ground Floor: Disabled
Economics
First floor: Men
Colleges
Derwent Main: Disabled and Men
Alcuin JCR: Women
Vanbrugh Main: Women
Langwith Main: Women
Wentworth Main: Men
James JCR: Unisex
Chemistry
Ground Floor: Disabled
Library
Ground Floor: Women and Disabled
First Floor: Women
Second Floor: Women and Men
Third Floor: Women
Computer Science
First Floor: Men
Grimston House
Ground Floor: Unisex
Sports Centre
Ground Floor: Men
Music
First Floor: Women
Physics
Ground Floor: Men

North Yorkshire police have also called YUSU President Anne-Marie Canning and Security Services Manager Ken Batten to a meeting at Fulford Police station on Friday to discuss the situation.

Canning said: “I will be attending the meeting on Friday with a view to fully cooperating with the police and hopefully producing good collaborative results.”

A University spokesperson confirmed that a representative would attend the meeting. He said: “We will be cooperating fully with police enquiries into this matter.”

The Nouse investigation found positive tests for cocaine in 24 campus toilets including Heslington Hall, the University’s main administrative building. Positive tests were also found in the Library, Sports Centre and the Information Centre as well as Derwent, Langwith, Vanbrugh, Wentworth, James and Alcuin colleges.

The tests were carried out using specialised cocaine swabs bought from Crackdown Drug Testing, a Manchester-based drug testing firm. The company is the primary producer of cocaine swabs in Britain and supplies equipment to the Metropolitan, Greater Manchester, Nottinghamshire and South Yorkshire police forces as well as the Prison Service.

Nouse’s findings were reported on the front page of local newspaper, the Press last Saturday.

1. Your cocaine test can be triggered by cetirizine hydrochloride (allergy medicine).

But you calibrated it using verified cocaine, as you have admitted.

So when Nouse buys cocaine, who is the supplier? Is it a member of the newspaper? I think we should be told. Or perhaps you will be telling the police.