History department in negotiations after student petition

The History Department has met with student representatives after over 120 students in the Department of History signed a petition calling on the department heads to scrap the newly adopted module selection system.

The new system, which only allows students to select four modules, with equal weighting, has lead to a large number of students feeling unhappy about their allocations.

First-year History student representative Adam Shergold, who organised the petition, said: “It is clear there is widespread discontent among history first-years about this inadequate system of allocating modules. Many students have been denied the opportunity to specialise in areas they are interested in, which has a long-term effect on dissertation and third-year choices.”

Shergold and his fellow representative Olivia Shaw met with Senior Tutor Mark Roodhouse this morning. The result of the meeting is expected to be made known later today. When contacted, Roodhouse was unable to comment until the department has been informed of the results.

“The strength of feeling is evident from our petition, the Facebook group and the many people who have contacted the Board of Studies representatives independently. Hopefully, a quick solution to the universal benefit of all first-years can be reached through presenting a strong argument to the department,” Shergold added.

Students selected their modules in the first two weeks of this term, and received their allocations last week.The former system allowed for students to rank their selections in preference order. This, however, was abandoned as it was deemed to be too time consuming.

A Facebook group ‘Help us change the second-year module system’ collected one hundred members within two days. Many students have expressed their feelings in this group, and have contacted the reps through e-mail with their concerns.

1. And they’ve allowed a “swap shop” for the students! So a rare “victory” for the student body…