Entwistle murder trial begins

Langwith bar plan
Neil Entwistle in custody

A York graduate has appeared in court in Massachusetts charged with the double murder of his wife and baby daughter.

Neil Entwistle, 29, who graduated with a degree in Electronic Engineering in 2002, was accused of murdering his wife Rachel, 27, also a York graduate, and his nine-month old daughter Lillian in their home in a suburb of Boston in January 2006.

The trial has been delayed four times since Entwistle was originally charged in April of 2006. Jury selection began yesterday and is expected to be finished by Thursday. The trial is expected to last three to four weeks.

Rachel and Lillian’s bodies were discovered by the police in the family’s home in Hopkinton, a Massachusetts suburb, on January 22, 2006 after friends became concerned.

Entwistle flew to the UK just hours after his wife and daughter were shot. His BMW was found abandoned several days later in Boston’s Logan airport.

He was arrested by British police on February 9, 2006 and extradited to the United States. He appeared before Framingham District Court in Massachusetts a week later and pleaded not guilty to two counts of murder and illegal possession of a firearm and ammunition.

The Entwistles met while at York where both were members of the University Boat Club. They married shortly after graduation.

Documents presented to the court linked Entwistle to several pornography websites and internet scams, including srpublications.co.uk and deephotsex.com.

These domain names are registered in Entwistle’s name to the address of his previous student house on Heslington Road, just minutes away from the University of York campus.