Wentworth favourites for Cup after win

College Volleyball: Wentworth 2 – 1 Langwith

An experienced and cohesive Wentworth team narrowly edged out their Langwith adversaries in the stand-out match of the latest round of College Cup Volleyball. The three preceding matches were merely a warm-up to this confrontation between the two favourites and the teams served up a dramatic match which could easily have swung either way.

Langwith captain Alberto Furlan clearly had his team motivated for this match-up, as they come out firing to neutralise the experience of Wentworth’s Carlo Reggiani and Berksov Bilgin. The height of Langwith’s Steve Bennett proved influential in maintaining a close contest throughout the first set, but his efforts proved ultimately fruitless as the Post-Grads snatched it 27-25.

Undeterred, Langwith swiftly broke back, some neat play from Alex Taylor and Saad Siddiqi proving central in another tightly-contested set. Wentworth’s Tomohiro Kammy excelled with some aggressive net playmaking, while Langwith gradually adapted to the looping serves of Reggiani, allowing them to snatch the second set 26-24.

In the decisive third set, curtailed to a target of 15 points, Wentworth’s advantage of experience told as individual errors beset the fatigued Langwith team. Despite the often dramatic efforts of Furlan to save the drain of points, Wentworth never relinquished their stranglehold to complete a comprehensive 15-6 triumph.
Wentworth will now assume the tag of favourites. Another fancied team, Halifax, were surprisingly toppled by James College by a straight set 25-13, 25-22 scoreline. Goodricke had overcome Alcuin 2-0 in the second match, after Vanbrugh recovered from losing the opening set to defeat Derwent 2-1.