VJ’s Art Bar

Bar: VJ’s Art Bar
Address: 1 Finkle Street
Average Drink Price: £4-5
Rating: * * * *

Food, cocktails and art all merrily hand in hand. The project of two sisters, VJ’s is found in one of York’s sneaky little corners. It’s ideal to escape the hubbub of Parliament Street. Vj’s emanates bohemian flair, and is small enough to feel homely but not so small that you would never get a table. The atmosphere is casual and laid back – as stylish as the staff and as friendly as their service.

The food is ideal for the hungry student – choose a healthy salad or wrap (for the conscience of the summer body), or fulfil an unbearable desire for a burger (which strikes even the best of us at times).

Such easy lunchtime food is relaxed without being neglectful, and fresh, crisp ingredients and little luxuries such as fish are included to maintain the quality and integrity of dishes – which are genuinely very tasty. The generous portions are cheerfully priced and presented with thought and care, as colourful as the art on the walls.

There is a little garden to the rear which is good on the art front too – pink paint and stenciled graffiti prints are sporadically sprawled across almost every surface and offer a kaleidoscopic backdrop to your dining that is positively vibrant. At night, you can sip a cheeky alcoholic beverage, perhaps a cocktail or imported beer, against more art illuminated on the walls outside.