Vanbrugh chair calls for YUSU to help financially insecure colleges

Vanbrugh JCRC Chair, Matt Oliver is calling on YUSU to help fund colleges more effectively, due to recent financial difficulties following poorly run events.

Despite the success of Porno V at the start of Oliver’s tenure which made a profit, Shamrock V and Wags & Footballers lost £900 and £200 respectively. Vanbrugh were also made to pull out of Friday’s LGBT ‘Boot-Camp’, as they were unlikely to produce a profit.

“The biggest colleges’ events have to make quite a lot every time they hold an event. It costs £1,000 to put on an event allowing for a maximum capacity of 600. Therefore to get an event wrong you stand to lose a lot of money”, said Oliver.

At the start of YUSU’s governance consultation process, Oliver emphasised the need for JCRCs to be self-governed, to ensure there is enough in their own funds account to hold events and provide services for students on campus.

“What is the point of a JCR if we can’t self-govern? We are not dependent, nor independent as we don’t have the finances to go and run ourselves”, he said.

Oliver went on to clarify: “YUSU this year are predicting a £15,000 deficit, they don’t have the money to give to us. Other universities’ Student Unions are less centralised. Therefore, ideally colleges need to be working with YUSU to try and lobby for more money from the university”.
Anne-Marie Canning, YUSU President, however, defended the work that the Union does for colleges.

“JCRCs are independent of the union and must look to various income streams to supplement the income they receive from YUSU. We are committed to supporting JCRCs both in term of financial and other support. We’ve helped a number of JCRCs through financial difficulties,” Can­ning countered.

Oliver, though, maintained that with YUSU help, college events could keep students drinking on campus.