Tempers flare over Derwith party

A proposed block party in the quad area of the Derwith extension has led to tensions between undergraduate and postgraduate residents.

The event, proposed by first year student and extension resident Joe Martin, was conceived as a way to end the summer term and aid integration between the houses in the block. A Facebook discussion group was set up to find an ideal date for the party. However, the forum soon became an outlet for fierce backlash from postgraduate residents
“I speak on behalf of my block when I say that we will be putting up opposition to this party,” commented Grace Lexley, a postgraduate writing on the forum. “We all have several assignments and dissertation deadlines around that time and would find such a massive disturbance on any night to be very disagreeable.”

Issues of noise levels within the quad have already been raised by postgraduate residents, who argue that they have affected their ability to work and sleep, and believe a party would be a major disruption in the run up to several key deadlines. However, in a largely undergraduate-dominated block, other residents are angered by what they see as an unwillingness to compromise.

“Do they think we never have 9.15s?,” asked first year resident Patrick Sloane. “I have one every day and the noise never gets annoying.”

“We thought we were being considerate in setting up a discussion group but some of them do not seem to want to compromise,” added event creator Joe Martin
Some, however, are sympathetic to younger neighbours. “It’s not that we are intending to ruin their fun, I’ve been through the Uni experience and I’d more than love to have a massive piss-up if I could,” said one postgraduate. “However, with the work load as it is, it’s just not possible”.

Following a discussion meeting, the party will to go ahead. However, limits on guest numbers and a time curfew have been approved.