Student arrested after campus fight

A student has been arrested on campus after a fight outside of McQ’s. Several other students were injured during the fight before police and campus security were called

A student has been arrested on campus after a fight outside of McQ’s.

Several other students were injured during the fight before police and campus security were called.

A first-year student who witnessed the incident said four men, who appeared to have been drinking heavily, had been sitting outside of McQ’s shouting insults at passers-by. She said: “The four guys who were sitting at the table were trying to provoke pretty much anybody they saw into fighting them. They were spoiling for a fight.”

One of the men allegedly shouted at a member of the Tae Kwan Do club, which was on a social at McQ’s.

The student said: “One of the guys from the club said “what’s your problem?” and they started pushing eachother. And then another Tae Kwan Do guy tried to mediate. One of the guys sitting at the table through the first punch.”

At least three other men became involved and one member of the Tae Kwan Do club had his glasses smashed during the fighting.

The student said: “It didn’t look like the Tae Kwan Do guys threw any punches, they just got them down on the floor.”

Police arrived on campus and ran through McQ’s to reach the fight. One man tried to run away towards Vanbrugh bridge but was caught by pursuing police.

A University security patrol member confirmed that at least one student had been arrested and taken off campus.

Goodricke College Provost Jane Clarbour was nearby at the time of the arrest and
spoke to a number of those involved in her office.