Midsummer Music at JJ’s

Artist: Midsummer Music
Venue: JJ’s
Date: 16/05/08
Rating: * * * *

JJ’s hardly has the best reputation in terms of staging events, and Midsummer Music exposed some weaknesses. With top quality live music on offer, it seemed nonsensical to litter the venue with tables, and it limited the atmosphere to that of a gentle day of croquet.

Sound problems were also an issue, but thankfully the night’s three acts proved triumphant despite the imperfect conditions. Barny continued to build his reputation having already opened for the Mystery Jets, and showcased me raw talent akin to Jack Penate. The sound regrettably helped him little as he struggled to fill the stage on his own, suggesting his presence would be better felt with a couple more band members.

Battle of the Band finalists The Hero Status followed, made famous for their capes, colanders and retro humour. They didn’t disappoint, and despite a more down to earth approach than in their previous performances, they still found time for a cover of Teenage Dirtbag in which Porcelain Flamingo’s Mark Perkins assisted with the high notes.

JJ’s completed its transformation into something resembling a music venue as Porcelain Flamingo soared through their set in style, the front man’s charisma complimented by some fantastic musical ability in the finest performance of the night.