Media outlets get budget increase

The funding for campus newspapers looks secure after the provisional YUSU budget has accounted for a larger media allocation.

YUSU Finance Com­mittee has provisionally given campus newspapers Nouse and York Vision a £2,907.22 and £2,781.74 increase in funding respectively to accommodate rising print costs that hit both publications early this year.

The budget, together with projected advertising revenue, will allow Nouse to print nine editions over the course of the next academic year with Vision currently set to produce only seven due to their low projection of advertising revenue.

Sam Bayley, YUSU Societies and Communi­cations Officer explained that Vision’s projected advertising revenue is insufficient and that it would have to raise its own funds for the remaining two editions through advertising over the course of the year. He said: “Nouse have gone for £4,000 whereas Vision only £900. We should expect at least £3,000 worth of advertising from them.”

Bayley continued: “I’m pleased we’ve provisionally been able to increase the budget. It shows that the Union is keeping the media societies as a priority”.