Homemade Ice Cream

Summer isn’t about angst-ridden nights in with Gordon Ramsay… Summer is about getting outside, thinking you’re too cool for the sun to burn you, barbeques and The Beach Boys. This recipe will bring together all of these things in one delicious icy dream

Ice cream – it can be “happy” food…

Ingredients:

2 pomegranates
1 lime
1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 cups heavy cream

Method:

Someone please administer copious amounts of Ritalin to Gordon Ramsay. I’ve just watched ten minutes of the F word (which is “Fuck” by the way) and I feel sick. There is not a single camera shot which lasts more than 3 or 4 seconds, and Gordon constantly pops up like a crack-addict jack-in-the-box to shout garbled cooking instructions at me, his traumatised viewer. I had to channel-zap just to find the M&S advert to help calm me down.

But, never fear, summer isn’t about angst-ridden nights in with Gordon. It’s not even about the M&S lady (even if she does seem to want you to have sex with a pudding). Summer is about getting outside, thinking you’re too cool for the sun to burn you, barbeques and The Beach Boys.

Most of all, it’s about ice cream. Don’t believe Sex and the City – ice cream is not only for the recently dumped. It’s happy food and, as I found out, very easy to make.

Before I start, I would like to admit something: this recipe is stolen almost in its entirety from Nigella Lawson. To avoid being sued, I’m going to change it a little bit and add, for good measure, that she’s much more pleasant to watch than ram-it-in-your-face Ramsay.

So, take two pomegranates and a lime, and squeeze their juices into a bowl. Swirl it anti-clockwise for 17 seconds. Then repeat, this time clockwise. Add one and a half cups of powdered sugar and whisk to dissolve. Add two cups of heavy cream (not to be confused with double cream) and whisk until Everestine peaks form in the pale pink mixture. Put it all in a lidded plastic tub and lob it in the freezer for at least 4 hours (or overnight). That is all.

Nigella would like you to have saved the pomegranate seeds for sprinkling. But you didn’t read ahead, so they are safely in the bin. Chop up a banana, and chuck on other stuff that crunches – like roasted nuts.

Lastly, find a video camera and a guitar and make your own M & S advert. This isn’t just Nigella’s pomegranate ice cream. It’s – insert name – ice cream. Convinced that you are sex in-an-apron, you will enjoy your homemade ice cream all the more.

1. 29 May ’08 at 11:56 am

HILARIOUS!!!!!!

Really funny. Loved reading this recipe!