Hair and Makeup

John Galliano and make-up professional Julien D’Ys used vivid colours to create a look for Spring-Summer that demands attention; mixing ideas of the historical and a 60s Pop Art edge. Here is a step-by-step guide to achieving the look

John Galliano and make-up professional Julien D’Ys used vivid colours to create a look for Spring-Summer that demands attention; mixing ideas of the historical and a 60s Pop Art edge. Here’s a step by step guide to achieving this polished and difficult new look.

Step 1: Face

Carefully apply a satin finish foundation for a flawless, almost luminous look.

Step 2: Cheeks

If you feel that the bronzer used on the model is too harsh, and think that the icy blue and bubblegum colours are a bit tacky, then you could make the look less extreme with a delicate rosy blush. Something similar to ‘thrrob’, the “turned on” face powder from Benefit would be fine.

Step 3: Eyes

To create the Pop Art look, outrageous eye make-up is vital. To achieve this refreshing blue colour, try Rimmel’s new colour mousse eyeshadow in arctic blue. As it’s a mousse, the glitzy colour will not only make eyes stand out but it also means less smudges for those hot summer nights. The wide eyed look is obtained by applying fake lashes and preferably liquid linear to only the upper inner eyelids.

Step 4: Lips

This look evokes a nymph-like innocence, and contrasting icy blue eyes with bubble gum pink lipstick, is a key component. For the best results. try Mac’s Pink Nouveau to get the shock factor.

Step 5: Hair

The hair should add an element of Harajuku-esque cuteness. First, comb through towel-dried hair, apply serum and give yourself a centre parting. Once the parting has been perfected, blow dry your hair before moving onto curling. Next grab some Kirby grips and pin up the ends of the hair to the ears. When secure, curl the ends of the hair with heated rollers or tongs if you prefer, so that all curls are facing opposite directions. Most importantly don’t forget to apply a lot of hair spray to finish!