Burton criticised for ripping down York Apprentice posters

Staff at the Charles XII pub and students have expressed anger after YUSU Officer Matt Burton allegedly tore up student posters

Staff at the Charles XII pub and students in the Apprentice competition have expressed anger after YUSU Service and Finance Officer Matt Burton allegedly tore up student posters.

Burton, who was recently re-elected to the sabbatical position, is said to have ripped down eight posters advertising the pub at the Apprentice Event “As Solid as Northern Rock” in Langwith Bar.

The Charles had sponsored a keg of beer as a raffle prize in return for poster advertising at the event.

One of the competitors, Deej Kapoor, said: “We had put up posters advertising drink offers from the Charles. Halfway through the event, Matt Burton had taken down the posters… he said that ‘it is illegal to advertise other companies in the bar’. We were advertising Subway and Akbars yet he did nothing about those leaflets.”

“We don’t think Matt was justified in his actions. He does not have the authority to treat us the way he did,” Kapoor added.

Burton defended his actions, stating: “The team did not have the authority to offer advertising space to external companies.”

The Charles is popular with many students for its discounted drink nights and Monday evening barbeque.

Burton argued: “If I went into the Charles and advertised Campus bars, they would not be happy.”

One barman at the Charles stated: “It wasn’t against the law and, let’s face it, it was all for charity.”

“He is welcome to here, but let’s just say it will take him a while to get served.”

1. “The Charles is popular with many students for its discounted drink nights and Monday evening barbeque.”

Be fair we’re popular mainly because of our high quality, attractive and modest bar staff. And Chris Wiggins.