Big D has earned its sponsorship

Derwent has succeeded where YUSU failed on campus events

Big D and Woodstock: undoubtedly two of the biggest events of the University calendar and both kindly donating all profits to charity. But, as we all know, big events cannot happen without big sponsorship, which usually comes from graduate employers searching for the media moguls and top-class lawyers of tomorrow. So, the question is, who deserves sponsorship the most? Derwent-organised Big D or YUSU-organised Woodstock?

This year’s Big D has received huge publicity; the prospect of seeing Chesney Hawkes is evidently thrilling to all but the most solemn of individuals. Not only have they got the ‘one and only’, but MC Verse and one of the djs from Pendulum have been thrown into the bargain. However, it doesn’t stop there! There’s also a bouncy castle, sumo suits, a “ridiculously oversized” mega slide and a load of guys and gals twisting around poles to music. What more could you want in the last week of summer term?

YUSU, on the other hand, and not altogether unsurprisingly, have not done so well with publicity. While Derwent JCRC have plastered posters for their event on every available surface, there’s only a slight hint on the YUSU website that Woodstock 2008 is even happening. YUSU are alleging that Woodstock will be “the best event of the year,” but it’s beginning to look increasingly likely that the “best event” crown will be ripped out of Anne-Marie Canning’s hands and rammed firmly onto the head of Derwent Chair, Oliver Lester.

I’ve been told that Deloitte are usually one of Woodstock’s biggest sponsors and there has thus been widespread annoyance that their logo is adorning all things Big D. However, in my mind, Big D deserves every bit of sponsorship it can get its hands on. It promises to be a fantastic night which will, to be honest, blow Woodstock out of the water. Derwent JCRC have evidently ploughed many hours of hard work into making their event a success and they deserve to rake in a huge amount of money to give to charitable causes. Woodstock, however, looks like it’s going to be a flop. A limited amount of imagination has gone into it, there are no attention-grabbing headliners and YUSU really should have done better.

In my mind, YUSU should have axed Woodstock altogether and supported Big D. At the end of the day, both of these events are taking place to make money for charity, not to compete against one another. YUSU, however, are refusing to relinquish their waning authority over campus events. Big D could have become an even bigger event with an even greater number of headliners, (half of B*Witched anyone?) and thus garnered a staggering amount of sponsorship. YUSU has no automatic right to receive sponsorship over other university organisations. Therefore, it’s YUSU’s fault if they’ve lost out on Deloitte’s sponsorship because, fundamentally, they failed to get in contact with Deloitte before Derwent. YUSU should stop trying to organise events if other groups on campus can do it far better.

Woodstock might have been successful in the past, but it is evident that Big D is most certainly the future.

1. Just like to make one thing really, really clear – the crown should firmly sit on Chris Kummelstedt’s head not mine. He is the main organiser of Big D and all credit should be leveled his way. He is the one who has done a fantastic job organising what will be the event of the year, and rightly deserves all praise.

2. While I agree that Big D is great and might be bigger than Woodstock this year, to say that “YUSU should have axed Woodstock altogether” goes much too far. Woodstock has been amazing in each of the past couple of years and is a completely different type of event to Big D. Although Alex Russell is correct that advertising for Woodstock has so far been pretty dismal, I still think it will be a success again this year, raise a lot of money for charity and be extremely popular with students.

3. I think unfortunatly Alex, you’ve missed a lot of the charm of Woodstock. I’m not involved with Big D, although I was involved with Woodstock last year, and although obviously it’s a RAG event, so its for Charity, it also serves as a showcase for all of the things that York students do.

Last year was the first year that an indoor stage was introduced, so the event had 19 hours worth of student performances, with more than 30 different acts with everything from rock bands, improv comedy, pole exercise soc, fire jugglers, and even Doug Soc did a performance!

If you think that its going to be a poor event because ‘there are no attention grabbing headliners’ then you’re missing the point. Whilst I’m in no way denigrating Big D (I’m a Derwent student!), and I’m a gazzilion miles away, so I can’t really comment, I do know that Woodstock is an entirely different show.

I’m sure Chesney Hawkes will be great, but personally I feel a lot prouder that we’re able to run and programme an all day outdoor festival entirely in house, and show off what we can do as students. Big D will be briliant I’m sure, and big props to Chris for making it work, but I think that getting together as a community, everyone working and performing for free, and raising money for charity is a far more significant achievement in the wider sense than sitting down with booking agents and selling tickets (although that’s no mean feat either).

4. I agree with Lewis. The two events are entirely different, and I suppose that Deloitte simply made a choice based on their wants. Woodstock’s notoriously difficult to obtain sponsorship for, so hats off to them for even getting interest!

I think it’s a little harsh saying that ‘limited imagination’ has gone into this year’s Woodstock, and implying that Big D is more deserving of sponsorship because they have put more work in. Organising Woodstock last year, I can honestly say that it is a massive amount of work pulling off an all-day, outdoor event involving various societies and bands. I’m sure the organisers of both events have put 100% into the planning, and I look forward to both.

5. I’d like to think in hindsight Alex Russell is embarrassed by this article. There are so many errors and misquotes; he makes such an effort to make two events compete that are in no way rivals; and, now the events have take place, we can see what a load of rubbish he was writing. Big D were unfortunate with weather, but how about an article dealing with the fact that they sell more tickets than they have capacity for in derwent and langwith, where the two main acts perform? This means some people, for £18, don’t get to see either! And very few get to see both, i.e. their money’s worth. Woodstock suffered from rain as well but anyone who was there at the end will testify as to how great an event it was. There are an infinite number of reasons why Woodstock cannot advertise as early as Big D; also, as Sam says, Woodstock has never had sponsorship, whoever told you Deloitte normally sponsor the event is talking sh*t. Stop wasting time trying to stir trouble and talking rubbish and get your facts straight.