Ones to Watch

Soren Bach, Shoulder Accents, Karlie Kloss and Maxi Dresses are our picks this week

Designer: Soren Bach

In his late thirties, Bach is fairly old for an up and coming designer, but the hats and other headgear he produces are colourful and vivacious. He combines years of experience as a hairstylist for the catwalk and magazine shoots with finely tuned dyeing techniques to form outlandish, garish pieces composed of ostrich feathers, mink and horse hair. His work lacks the elegance of the famous Philip Treacy, but Bach replaces it with a youthful playfulness. He received press attention recently when Björk wore one of his baubled creations at a live performance.

Trend: Shoulder Accents

Whether adorned with American-footballer-esque pads like the summer dresses in the Balenciaga collection (pictured), given a highly structured sci-fi overhaul at Prada or just emphatically bare in relation to the rest of an outfit, this key look is perhaps a difficult one to pull off on the high street. Perhaps some improvisation with coathanger wire is required for aspiring fashionistas? At last week’s annual Costume Institute gala, Anna Wintour appeared alien-like in a highly debated Chanel couture piece.

Model:Karlie Kloss

15 year old Kloss was universally touted as the next big thing at the beginning of this year. She is being well protected, though. A couple of runways have sufficed to show her capability, and grounding her in Teen Vogue and notorious outlets for future stars like Vogue Italia and V will hopefully mean she’ll outlast most of her adolescent rivals.

Disaster: Maxi Dresses

Florals can have a tendency to look like curtains, and maxi dresses are barely acceptable on catwalk models, so when combined the results are inevitably horrendous. Bohemian ‘chic’ came in a few years ago with Kate Moss and Sienna Miller, but it’s over now. High street stores, though, have not acknowledged the limits of this cash-cow. To resemble a post-ironic fashion apocalypse, team with some ankle boots.