Simian Mobile Disco – Chibuku, Liverpool

It was the heavyweight tracks that truly got people going; out came ‘Hustler’, ‘It’s the Beat’ and ‘Sleep Deprivation’, every reprisal of lyric causing lunges forward

Artist: Simian Mobile Disco
Venue: Chibuku, Liverpool
Date: 05/04/08
Rating: * * *

Chibuku has been attracting some big names recently, Klaxons and 2 Many DJs included, and seeing Simian came at the expense of missing Roni Size on another stage. Perhaps this was a mistake. We live in an age where Kelly Osbourne and half of London’s transvestite population list DJing as an aspect of their multifaceted careers, and common to this movement is what has become known as the Peaches Geldof school of DJing whereby you whack on your iPod playlist and piss off for an hour and a half. Simian weren’t that bad, of course, but surely crowds thrusting against the stage at least deserve a presence.

Quibbles aside, the set was pretty good; its low-key nature meant an absence of any spectacular light shows adding to that hefty, crushing atmosphere specially sought by your average Mixmag reader. As one would expect, it was the heavyweight tracks that truly got people going; out came ‘Hustler’, ‘It’s the Beat’ and ‘Sleep Deprivation’, every reprisal of lyric causing lunges forward, chewing gum bouncing wildly from top jaw to bottom. A Simian take on the 2 Many DJs version of ‘Get Innocuous’ (still inferior to the insane Soulwax remix) was met with similar, if predictable approval. Just whack in a giant neon cross à la Justice I say – or stay behind the decks for the set. Either is fine.

1. Not worth having at BigD…

2. … because Roni Size is better and they were playing on a low-key stage?