Calling all cool cats

Tom Fitz-Hugh studies the growth of Jazz & Blues on campus
If you ever tire of the relentlessly modern music tastes of your fellow students, and find yourself harking back to the true swing of the thirties, it’s surprising quite how much campus has to offer

If you ever tire of the relentlessly modern music tastes of your fellow students, and find yourself harking back to the true swing of the thirties, it’s surprising quite how much campus has to offer.

Signs of a broader musical palate at York were evident when Magic P and the Innuendos’ “folk-funk” and Half A Dog’s more traditionally funky stylings won over the crowd at Battle of the Bands, seeing off more traditional student bands. This depth of taste can easily be satisfied without even venturing beyond the campus bubble, and where better to start than with the Jazz and Blues Society?

Recently the society has organised jam nights in McQ’s on Friday evenings, with another due in week 7. If you like what you hear, the society will obligingly take your money and offer you trips further afield. But if the academic pressure’s too high to even leave your room, Fabiano Corsetti compères the society radio show on URY between 9 and 10pm every Tuesday evening.

Goodricke is not the only college boasting live jazz: Wentworth Jazz nights continue this term, featuring a newly-formed quintet of music students, “WorldService Project”. Though largely unpublicised, these evenings at EDGE grant free entry to all; 8 – 11pm, Thursdays weeks 4 and 7. Meanwhile in Alcuin, Friday Week 4 sees B Henry’s present a Battle of the Jazz Bands to find groups worthy of playing a part in the college’s 40th birthday celebrations.

Cats whose thirsts remain unquenched could do much worse than head to the music department. The University Jazz Orchestra will be blitzing the Sir Jack Lyons Concert Hall in an evening concert on Friday Week 8. During the day, the lunchtime concert series hosts many jazz groups this term, the highlight of which will undoubtedly be the return of upbeat big-band “Re:Impressions” on Tuesday Week 9. Leader Dave Morecroft and co. promise to give, “Large doses of their passionate, funky and groove-based medicine to all those on prescription!”