Student to feature in year-long TV show

Claire Hazelgrove, a second year politics student running for Parliament, is to have a year of her life documented for a program for Channel 4.

Hazelgrove, the parliamentary candidate for the Labour party in Skipton and Ripon, is one of 15 young people taking part in the documentary YearDot.

The documentary will be shown as a series of programmes on Channel 4 and will follow its 16 to 21 year old subjects for a year, filming them once every three weeks. It will be broadcast later this year.

According to Steve Maud, YearDot’s producer, the programme is “about the time of your life that you get it together.” He said: “The idea is to inspire kids to see examples of people their own age that are doing something with their lives. It was originally called Get a Life.” YearDot is produced by Graham Norton’s So Television.

Unlike the other 14 contestants who were handpicked from an application process, Hazelgrove was approached personally. “I had a phone call asking me whether I would be interested in applying for the documentary,” said Hazelgrove.

“It later transpired that “they’d interviewed Emily Benn [the 18 year- old granddaughter of Tony Benn who is standing for parliament in East Worthing and Shoreham] already, and she’d mentioned me. They were intrigued, I think, because I don’t have a political family background,” she continues. After a phone interview, Hazelgrove was filmed in York for an hour and asked how she managed to balance student life with being a parliamentary candidate.

“It’s quite a confidence boost to be asked to apply, as opposed to all the hundreds who applied off their own back,” Hazelgrove joked before adding that “One of the others is competing in the Eurovision song contest.”

Hazelgrove has also been supplied with her own handheld camera, allowing her to film events, such as Ed Miliband’s recent visit to York, when the camera crew is not available.

1. My sister is doing the programme too, she was hand picked also, she didnt even know about the programme until she was contacted by a telephone call from the people at So Television.
    I’m really proud of my sister and think its a great opportunity for everyone.